Friday, September 7, 2012

A Family Addicted


A Family Addicted
A personal story of a family of 5 boys brought up in a household where addiction thrived and took its toll on the lives of many. 

Introduction
After years of contemplation and talking with my brothers, I decided to take some time to write our family story.  Why am I doing this? some might ask, well,  to accomplish 2 things. 

First I wanted to get my feelings about the personal tragedies in writing and reflect on them.  I am thinking that maybe just maybe this will help me heal some of the scars that every once in a while expose themselves.  

Secondly, I wanted to see if maybe, just maybe it can help others.   At the top of my “others” list is my family.  As I look at my two beautiful kids and watch them grow into their teens, I can’t help but reflect on the stories of my brothers and how young they were when they started delving into the alcohol and drugs.   How in the world can this be?  My kids at age 13 and 16, I can’t possibly imagine a life of drugs and alcohol younger than that.  Can’t imagine, but it happened.   So getting the truth that my family has hidden over the years can be useful to my kids, so they understand the stress I have every day in watching them grow-up with the influences around them.  If they read my family story, maybe they could open their eyes and know that it could happen to them. 

But this story is NOT just for my kids, but for everyone that might have the same history.  I look at the survivors in my family and I wonder, do they know the story?  I also wonder how many other families out there are just like mine?  How many people made the same decisions that my family did and how many people suffered because of them?  Better yet, how many people made the RIGHT decisions and turned their tragedy into triumphs.

The Family Addicted is a story of 2 generations of ordinary folks who dealt with alcohol, drugs, tragedies and triumph. 

Chapter 1 – Love in a small town (to be continued)



This will be an ongoing blog of personal experience so share this with your friends and family and help spread the word that you’re not alone in this and that there is hope. Sign up by email to get notified of when the next blog is posted http://www.vincecartersanctuary.org/blog/.

Do you have a family member who needs help or know someone who does? Take the first step and contact us .

No comments:

Post a Comment